Work for CHAPWorking with us here at CHAP Towers, you will have the chance to carve out your own career in the exciting Agri-Tech sector. Don’t delay and apply today…
Capability Research Associate
Full Time, Fixed Term (6 months)
Based on experience
Rothamsted Research, Harpenden
Crop Health and Protection Limited (“CHAP”) is one of the four Centres for Agricultural Innovation and a key component of the UK Government’s Agri-Tech Strategy, aiming to spark scientific and technical innovation that enables transformational change and sustainable productivity in agriculture.
The role would suit an experienced Biology/Plant Science graduate. You would be working directly with our expert in the CHAP Fine Phenotyping Laboratory, with the opportunity to gain experience using advanced cameras/sensors to quantify plant traits, pests and disease.
Specific responsibilities will evolve as the research outcomes are evaluated and you will have the opportunity to shape this as a critical member of the team.
Main duties and responsibilities:
The following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures.
- Act as the main operation CHAP contact for the facilities
- Using advanced sensors to detect plant traits, pest and diseases
- Measuring and recording biological data
- Plant growth and maintenance
- Lab maintenance
- Manage, plan and coordinate design of experiments with RREs and CHAP staff
- Maintain and develop protocols and SOPs with RREs staff
- Evaluate protocols, recommend improvements, make ongoing recommendations and implement changes
- Desk-based research activities, and collaborating with members of the wider CHAP network
- Keep up to date with literature, scientific and technological development within the sector and external but complementary to the sector.
- COSHH assessments and health and safety protocols
- Data analysis
- Staff mentoring and management
- Create and maintain an asset utilisation record
- Reporting on activities in line with CHAP reporting cycles
- Self-motivated, able to work without direct supervision
- Attentive to detail
- Excellent communication both written and verbal
- Computer proficient with a good working knowledge of standard office programmes and an ability to learn new software quickly
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Biology/Plant Science graduate; degree or equivalent
- Laboratory or glasshouse-based research experience would be very beneficial
- Project management experience would be an advantage
For more information or to apply for this exciting opportunity please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. .
Please send all enquiries to email@example.com