Work for CHAPWorking with us here at CHAP Towers, you will have the chance to carve out your own career in the exciting Agri-Tech sector. Don’t delay and apply today…
Business Development Manager
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Salary on application and commensurate with experience
Location: CHAP offices / remote
CHAP, a UK Agri-Tech Centre funded by Innovate UK, brings together leading scientists, farmers, advisors, innovators and businesses to understand industry challenges, drive research and innovation and develop and trial solutions that transform crop systems. We work with partners to translate and promote these solutions for market adoption and improved crop productivity. Our mandate is to increase crop productivity for future generations through the uptake of new technologies.
Overall Job Purpose
Reporting to the Commercial Director, the Business Development Manager (BDM) will work with the Commercial Director, Commercial team, Innovation Director and Innovation team to develop and implement a strategy to build a pipeline of new business and grant funded projects to establish CHAP’s market position and achieve financial growth. This requires a proven record of successful bid writing for research and development services, experience in commercial key account management, a thorough knowledge of the sector and an understanding of CHAP’s capabilities.
The BDM will work with CHAP partners, leading scientists working on the capabilities and potential customers, collaborators and government agencies to identify opportunities across SME’s, large agrichemical companies, farmers, growers, agronomists, food retailers, seed companies and soil experts.
Main duties and responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Commercial Director and Innovation Director, define short, medium and long-term goals to establish areas of interest, project and income targets.
- Develop and manage the Business Development Opportunity Programme, this will be a multitalented business development team with mix of skills, a silo free team based on opportunity not department, with appropriate staff drafted in when time allows and when required
- Identify commercial business and grant opportunities; understand and recognise potential for innovation in agriculture and the Agri food sectors.
- Build on existing and/or new high level strategic key relationships in the sector, to grow, maintain, and leverage their network.
- Readily develop a rapport with potential new clients and collaborators and determine potential income targets and provide support to develop the relationship to achieve goals.
- Engage companies/businesses in collaborative research projects and identify appropriate sources of funding from Innovate UK as well as other sources.
- Prospect for new opportunities by networking, attending tradeshows and attending/presenting at appropriate conferences to generate business.
- Actively use the capability ‘stories’ and work with the partners to promote/market CHAP and its offerings in an attractive and engaging format such as 3rd party references and case studies.
- Plan persuasive approaches and pitches that will convince potential clients to do business with CHAP.
- Grow and retain accounts by presenting them with new solutions, services and support where possible.
- Using knowledge of other sector players, identify and develop CHAP’s unique selling propositions and differentiators.
- Work with the marketing team to make bespoke presentations or develop solutions and services that meet or predict clients’ future needs.
- Actively pick up on and feedback ideas from customers.
- Attend sector functions, such as association events and conferences, and provide feedback and information on the broader sector.
- Work with technical staff and other internal and external colleagues, such as the Innovation Hub Leads and sister Agri-tech Centres, to meet customer needs to identify and exploit interest shown in the capabilities offered by CHAP and expand on those already taken up.
- Submit weekly/monthly progress reports to the Commercial Director ensure data is accurate.
- Negotiate and closes business deals, write and submit grants.
- Develop a deep understanding of CHAP capabilities.
- Keep abreast of government developments regarding Agri-tech issues to ensure strong understand of the potential impact on CHAP business.
- Develop strong knowledge of the Agri-tech sector in order to be able to respond professionally and with confidence to enquiries in this sector.
- Manage own time to ensure efficient and effective performance.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of the sector and current market conditions.
- Successful Key Account Management/ BDM background
- Strong Bid/grant writing skills.
- Collaborative style of working.
- Self-motivated and target driven.
- Comfortable and effective working on own initiative.
- Engaging personality, able to build rapport and effective relationships easily and quickly across a broad spectrum of people, businesses, academics and the public sector.
Qualifications and Experience
- Successful collaborative project building and relationship sales/BDM background is essential, preferably in the Agri-tech sector.
- A scientific degree. PhD preferred.
- Experience of working in the sector and an established network of Agri-tech contacts.
- Grant winning skills.
- Clean driving License
For more information or to apply for this exciting opportunity please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send all enquiries to email@example.com